Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Father's Love

In many ways I am the busiest I've ever been in my life: family responsibilities have increased with Anita's new job; ministry at church is getting heavier in this new year with the many church visitors, new ministry opportunities, and ongoing affairs of church life; I'm overwhelmed by the reading and writing assignments in my Doctor of Ministry courses; and I've now taken an hour out of each day to pray. Not a day goes by that I don't feel snowed under and weighed down by too much to do! So what could make me drop everything I'm doing and give my total attention to something other than the normal daily stuff?

Yesterday Dane called from Covenant College and asked me to give him some ideas for a paper he had to write in a philosophy class. He's my son, he had a need, and I desperately wanted to offer him some help and support. So I spent about 4 hours late yesterday afternoon and evening reading and trying to find some resources that might be helpful to him. I emailed him back last night with some references for him to read and study for himself. Of course, he replied and said that by then he was basically finished with the paper but appreciated my help and might even use some of it! But it didn't matter to me - what mattered was that my son called me and was in need. I was going to respond!

Jeremiah 33:3 says, "Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known." Matthew 7:11 says, "If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!" My Father is delighted every time I call on Him and He is never too busy running the universe to give me His full attention and take care of me. What a joy to be His child!

That hour I've filled each day with prayer isn't just something else to do - it's a way to enjoy my dad who loves me more than I possibly imagine. Would you call on Him with me?

calling my dad,
Burt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home