Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Family Reunion in Florida















After Christmas I took the whole family (yep, all 9 of us) down to Liberty County, FL for a family reunion. It was my mom's side of the family. She and all her siblings have passed on but it was a time for all us cousins and our families to get together. (aren't we a good looking group of cousins - my sister Edlyne is on the top right) We actually had a great time! My kids were even wanting to stay an extra day. Of all the "first cousins" from my mom's family I am the youngest, the baby of the bunch! And yes, I was reminded of that (notice how they made me get on the floor!) One of my cousins actually told me, "it's really hard for us to think of you as a pastor because you were such a spoiled, mean kid." Thanks . . . I loved traveling all the way down there to hear that!

But actually it's a great reminder to me of God's incredible grace. I, too, have a hard time thinking of myself as a pastor because I realize that deep down I'm still a spoiled, mean kid. Yet how amazing is it that God, in His mercy, would choose to use such a person as me!

We've sung a few times at Community the old song "Come, Ye Sinners." Read and sing to yourself these beautiful words.

Come, ye sinners, poor and wretched,
weak and wounded, sick and sore;
Jesus, ready, stands to save you,
full of pity, joined with power.
He is able, He is able,
He is willing, doubt no more.


I stand in awe that God would invite and call such a sinner (spoiled, mean, arrogant, weak, etc.) as I and would even use me in His Kingdom work. Fellow sinner, Jesus invites you to join Him in the adventure of glorifying and enjoying Him in the Christian life. And because He is able and willing and powerful, don't doubt that He can use you.

still spoiled and mean but loved by Christ,
Burt

2 Comments:

Blogger Crissy said...

I really identify with you on this. I too was a mean, hateful brat. I live in constant amazement that God can use me. Amazing grace!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

I have to agree with Crissy. She is, I mean was, a mean hateful brat. ;)

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home