Saturday, January 07, 2006

Keeping up with showers

Anita asked Tanner a couple of days ago when he last took a shower. His answer was, "I don't know, I don't keep up with stuff like that. I just take one when somebody tells me to."

I guess there's good and bad in that. The good is that he's not so bound by routine - the bad is that some routines are pretty good ones! The good is that he's not overly concerned about his looks - the bad is that he probably should be. The good is that he's willing to take a shower when he's told - the bad is some things you shouldn't have to be told to do. The good is that he's still young and the smell hasn't gotten too bad yet - the bad is that he's getting older and the smell is starting to drift throughout the house.

This reminds me of the way I tend to deal with my own sin. If someone points it out to me and if it starts stinking too bad, I'll probably do something about it. But until then, "I don't keep up with stuff like that."

Two key applications for myself here: (1) Develop the discipline/routine/lifestyle of repentance. Daily showers of confession and cleansing in God's grace and forgiveness are actually good things. (2) Make sure I stay in the accountability relationship with my friend in B'ham who will faithfully remind me to take showers.

getting ready for a shower,
Burt

1 Comments:

Blogger Jawan said...

I'm glad you now have a blog so I can keep up with the activities of the Boykin household. Keep posting all the spiritual applications pertaining to your daily life.....oh, and thanks for your vote on "favorite music". That made me feel quite special!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home