Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Who Needs to Be Humbled?

Anita started back to work just yesterday over at Baptist Montclair. She'll be working in the one-day surgery unit and (once finished with orientation & training) will only work a couple of days a week. But for a part-time job it's seems to be a really good one. In fact, I got curious and decided to compare her new job with mine.

She's not been in the workplace in 19 years, took a 5 week nursing refresher course, started looking for a job, and is now a staff nurse.

I've been in the same job for 19 years, during that time finished my masters degree and am presently working on a doctoral degree, and serve as the Sr. Pastor of a medium to large size church. (statistically speaking most churches in the US are under 100 members)

My conclusions: I know without a doubt God has called me into ministry and I love my job; couldn't dream of doing much else. Though I will ultimately bring home more money than will Anita this year, she'll make considerably more per hour than I do. There's where the humbling part comes in! Apparently God decided I needed a little more humility in my life and decided to use my wife's going back to work to do it.

We both wish she didn't have to work right now, but life can be expensive . . . especially with 7 boys, 1 in college and another just about ready to head off. We also both wish God would say He's finished humbling us. But we both know how much we need it and how graciously God moves us toward total dependence on Him.

a little more humbled today than yesterday,
and married to a wonderful wife,
Burt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home