Friday, January 13, 2006

The Drawer


Everyone has one in their house - the one drawer where every piece of junk imaginable ends up, except the thing you're looking for.

Anita needed a small lock for her locker at work. "No problem, a few years ago we bought a 4-pack of small locks and only used 3 of them. The extra lock and key should be in 'the drawer.' Let me look for you." It was amazing - out came chunks of sidewalk chalk, used batteries, an old TV remote, packets of seeds for the garden, a picture of Seth and Yates holding baby Cobi, marbles, paint can lid openers, an old dog's vet tag, half used tea candles, secret documents revealing the location of Jimmy Hoffa, tons of other junk, and finally a lock, but NO key anywhere.

You have that same drawer in your house, don't you? As a kid my parents had one in our house. And now as an adult I have one of my own!

I think my heart is sort of like that drawer. I just keep putting stuff in there - a few good things, but mostly junk, and when I start looking for what I need I can't seem to find it. And what I often do find is stuff I wonder why I held on to for so long.

We're cleaning out the drawer this weekend. I'm not sure my heart can wait until then.

needing to dejunk,
Burt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home