Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Shalom

Shalom - the way things are supposed to be. Well, things aren't the way they're supposed to be. I was reminded of that today in a huge way when I received the news that one of Anita's co-workers had a little 7 year old daughter die of some weird blood disorder. This past weekend the family went camping without a care in the world and today their little girl dies - for no reason - other than the world is broken.

As Christians what do we say to folks who suffer stuff like this? "It sucks" is about as good an answer as I can imagine. The world ain't right and needs to be made right ... and I can't fix it. I can't say anything to this grieving family that makes things better ... I can't do anything to make Jerry Boyer's cancer go away ... I can't say anything that makes my children consistently show respect to one another and everyone else ... I can't do anything to end the suffering of millions of suffering people in Africa ... etc. I don't like thinking about all this - I'd often rather just turn on the T.V. and veg watching some mind numbing program. But the stuff just won't go away. I can ultimately do but one thing and that is run to Jesus in tears - for myself and on behalf of the others suffering in and from this broken world.

I'm grateful Jesus came for the broken people like me, that He heals the broken/shattered hearts, and that He uses wounded folks like me to help bring healing to others. He calls me to bring a bit of shalom wherever I encounter brokeness ... and that's everywhere.

wiping my tears,
Burt

1 Comments:

Blogger Crissy said...

and he gives us brilliant moments in Zion

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home