Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Fruit

In my personal devotional time I'm reading/studying through Luke. In 6:43-45 Luke writes,
For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit, for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thronbushes, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

That is simply TOO convicting! I can tell you all the theological reasons for the assurance of my salvation, yet when I look at the fruit of my life I'm convicted primarily of unbelief. A look at the fruit of my life ... reveals a man who isn't content with Christ but who instead seeks after the things of this world; shows a husband who doesn't love his wife as Christ loved the church but who rather demands love out of her; uncovers a father who doesn't love his children but instead often frustrates them; reveals a pastor who prefers to be pampered rather than one who loves to shepherd the flock. It exposes me for the self-centered, unbelieving, proud, judgmental, discontent, immature, cowardly, unloving, shallow, critical, arrogant, superficial, weak, sinner that I really am.

Am I doubting my salvation? Not really, though in 2 Peter 1:10 we are instructed to "make your calling and election sure." My hope is not and has never been in my accomplishments, but only in the finished work of Christ. Yet a thorough inspection of my fruit leaves me hanging only on the single thread of God's grace.

asking for the fruit of the Spirit,
Burt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home